The mace (Arabic, amūd; Latin, mascea) was originally a weapon: a short handle topped with a metal ball, its bludgeoning force eclipsed that of a club. A common sight in medieval armies, the mace also served as a symbol of authority, appearing on the seals of such monarchs as Edward the Confessor, Philip Augustus, and Frederick Barbarossa.
In academic settings, a bedellus (lay church official) processed with the mace during commencement; hence, it was adopted by colleges and universities throughout the West and, in the United States, is usually borne by the Chief Faculty Marshal in academic processions.
The Morgan State University Mace is made of wood from one of the oldest buildings that existed on campus, a polished stone from the campus quarry, and three silver strips, each engraved with an epoch of Morgan’s history. It is decorated with silver clasps and semi-precious stones. It was a gift to the University from the General Alumni Association (June 4, 1956).
The Mace was designed and executed by the late Dr. Charles W. Stallings, formerly of the Morgan State College faculty in the Department of Art.